Calories In Your Glassby Oyinkansola Talabi on August 7, 2012
How do we manage having a drink? With or without alcohol? Some of us like the occasional drink and there isn't anything wrong with that, there are some days that a nice glass of chilled wine just works or some whisky in your tea...I feel you.
However, alcohol is full of empty calories- No nutritional value. It does absolutely nothing for your well being. The sugar and carbs from alcohol are usually saved in the stomach area, hence the beer belly and that's not pretty. Non alcoholic alternatives are just as bad as they tend to have sugar added to it. So how do you not sabotage your fitness efforts with a drink? Like everything else, knowledge is key. Lets' begin with the (empty) calories in the glass.
- Red wine ( 13% alcoholic volume) - 1 standard 175ml glass- 119 calories.
- White wine (13% alcoholic volume) - 1 standard 175ml glass- 130 calories
- Rose wine- (13% alcoholic volume) - 1 standard 175ml glass- 124 calories
- Champagne- 1 full glass- 95 calories
- Gulder per bottle: 330 calories
- Guinness: 325ml- 142 calories
- Heineken-440ml can- 154 calories
- Light spirit (gin, vodka etc) -1 shot: 65 calories
- With energy drink- 118 calories
- Dark spirit (whiskey, brandy) - 1 shot 65 calories
- with energy drink - 112 calories
- Mixers- Smirnoff ice- 427 calories
- Pina colada- alcoholic- 644calories
- Bloody Mary- Alcoholic- 116calories
- Long island iced tea- 780 calories
- Bloody Mary - 79calories
- Pina colada - 374 calories
- Malt- 220calories
- Soft drinks- 80-90calories
- Juice - packaged - 90-100calories
- Red bull- 113 calories
- Irish cream- 1 Glass/37ml - 130calories
Drinking is the trickiest part of a healthy lifestyle in my option especially if you like to have a drink now and again like me. Now that you know what's in your glass, you have to be mindful of what and how much you are drinking. What are you eating as you drink? You need to work out ways to balance out like, drink plenty of water before you go out, so you don't have space for much, that way, a glass can go a long way. Better still just sip on water (use a wine glass) intermittently. Like all else, all things in moderation. If your goal is weight loss, all the drinks except water have to go for a while.
Love your body...