Tomatoes, which are actually a fruit and not a vegetable, are loaded with lots of health benefits for the body. Tomatoes are found year round in Nigeria and in rich abundance. One of the most well known tomato eating benefit is its’ Lycopene content. Lycopene is a vital anti-oxidant that helps in the fight against cancerous cell formation as well as other kinds of health complications and diseases.
Lycopene is not a naturally produced element within the body and the human body requires sources of Lycopene in order to make use of this powerful anti-oxidant. While other fruits and vegetables do contain this necessary health ingredient, no other fruit or vegetable has the high concentration of Lycopene that the tomato. Researchers introduced Lycopene into pre-existing cancer cell cultures and the Lycopene prevented the continued growth of these cultures. This is pretty powerful evidence that the health benefits of eating a tomato are really quite phenomenal.
Did you know?
It takes as little as 540 milliliters of liquid tomato product to get the full benefits of Lycopene. This means that a daily glass of tomato juice has the potential to keep a person healthy for life.
Tomatoes are equally as nutritious fresh as they are in other variable forms. When tomato products are heat processed the bioavailablity of the Lycopene actually increases rather than the anticipated decrease.
Health Benefits of Tomato:
- A large consumption of tomato can help improve skin texture and color.
- Tomato is a good blood purifier.
- Tomato helps in cases of congestion of the liver (protects the liver from cirrhosis) as well as for dissolving gallstones.
- Tomato is a natural antiseptic therefore it can help protect against infection.
- Vitamin K in tomatoes helps to prevent hemorrhages.
- Consumption as well as direct application of tomatoes does wonder for your body as well as skin.
- During summers, our body sweats leaps and bounds. This leads to loss of water content in our body. In extreme cases, due to excessive exposure to blistering and sweltering sun, our body gets dehydrated and loses lot of water. But eating tomatoes in summers replaces the water and salt content lost by body due to soaring temperature and blistering heat.
- Eating tomatoes in case of congestion of liver gives you fruitful results. Tomatoes also aids in dissolving of gallstones.
- Nicotinic acid present in tomatoes reduces cholesterol levels. This way tomato keeps the body away from heart ailments like heart attack, heart blockage etc.
- Tomatoes contain lycopene which is a vital antioxidant, fighting against the formation of cancerous cells.
- Since ages, tomato is known to be a natural antiseptic. Intake as well as application of tomatoes works wonders for your body both internally as well as externally.
- Tomatoes contain lots of nutrients like vitamin c that strengthens your immunity against diseases; vitamin A for proper functioning of eyes and glowing and ailment free skin. It also contains potassium that helps in muscle cramps. It is rich in folic acid too.
With continuous research that has gone into the health benefits of tomatoes, there is still more research being conducted as the medical science community understands that we have not fully tapped into the potential presented by a Tomato as yet.
In the meantime, continue cooking your delicious soups with fresh tomato as your base and eating tomatoes in your salads!