Sweet, juicy watermelon is actually packed with some of the most important antioxidants in nature. Pink watermelon is a source of the potent carotenoid antioxidant, Lycopene. These powerful antioxidants travel through the body neutralizing free radicals. Free radicals are substances in the body that can cause a great deal of damage including augment the aging process. Well known for being abundant in tomatoes and particularly well absorbed from cooked tomato products, Lycopene is also present in high amounts in watermelon and mangoes. Lycopene has been extensively studied for its antioxidant and cancer-preventing properties. Watermelon is rich in the B vitamins necessary for energy production.
Vitamins in Watermelon
Watermelon is a very good source of vitamin A, C, beta-carotene and Lycopene. Watermelon is a good source of vitamins B1 and B6, Pantothenic acid, biotin, magnesium, potassium and dietary fiber.
Benefits of Watermelon
- Kidney Disorders: Water Melon contains a lot of potassium, which is very helpful in cleaning or washing off the toxic depositions in the kidneys. Moreover, it is helpful in reducing concentration of uric acid in the blood, thereby reducing the chances of kidney damages and formation of renal calculi in it. Added to these, being high in water content, it induces frequent urinating, which is again helpful for cleaning of kidneys. Also, the anti oxidants present ensure good health of kidneys for a long time.
- Lowering High Blood Pressure: the Potassium and magnesium, present in watermelons, are very good in bringing down blood pressure. The carotenoids present in them prevent hardening of walls of arteries and veins, thereby helping reduce blood pressure.
- Heart Care: Lycopene, a carotenoid found in abundance in watermelon, improves cardiac functions. Beta carotene, known for its remarkable anti oxidant and anti aging properties, also keeps you young at heart and prevents age related cardiac problems. The roughage in watermelon, with help from vitamin-C, Carotenoids and potassium (potassium cuts the risk of a heart attack), help reduce cholesterol and keep your heart safe. Cholesterol sticks to blood vessel walls and thicken them, which can lead to heart attack or stroke.
- Macular Degeneration: Leave your worry of eyes on that beta carotene, that vitamin-C and Lutein and Zeaxanthin. They will ensure protection of your eyes from macular degeneration. These anti oxidants will protect your eyes from other age related ailments such as drying up of eyes and optical nerves, glaucoma etc.
- Impotence: Arginine, present in watermelon, is beneficial in erectile dysfunctions.
- Other Benefits: Lycopene is found to be effective in preventing cancer, prostate growth and repair damaged tissues. The antioxidants of watermelon help reduce the severity of asthma. It also reduces the risk of colon cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, and prostate cancer.
Important Health Tip: Those who are diabetic must stay away from watermelon as it elevates the blood sugar.