The “Now” is always a great time to incorporate some practical habits that can help bring balance into our lives. To live a healthy lifestyle, we need to be physically, emotionally and mentally balanced. Yes I know it is easier said than done, so many things involved, and in Nigeria, the complexities never end….
From the way you think, what you eat, where you work, where you live, what you do, what your financial situation is, who you know, and so on. You need a good amount of self-discipline and self-motivation to even maintain a sensible rhythm everyday. Below are some tips that work for me and some friends, maybe they will work for you:
1. Everything in moderation – eating, working, resting, playing, hobbies, socializing, and so on. Most things aren’t bad, abuse is what makes them bad…
2. Take a moment to review how you spend your day. This helps you to be more deliberate with your time and actions. Concentrate on the important things first and cut down on the not so important.
3. Don’t take on more work or personal responsibilities than you can realistically handle, delegate when you can.
4. Do what you love. The money will usually follow. A fulfilled life is Never about the money.
5. Keep your life simple and live within your means. It is really unnecessary to keep up with the Joneses. Why take a loan to travel for summer? Why stress yourself trying to upgrade to the latest software or fashion when the old one serves you just fine? Isn’t life stressful enough?
6. You should sleep for at least eight hours every night. A nap in the afternoon, if possible, is also a good idea. This is refreshing for your brain. Companies should be more radical and have nap / rest rooms for their staff to relax during work hours (monitored of course). Their increased effectiveness and productivity will be remarkable, ask Google HQ.. if this is not feasible, catch up on your sleep at the weekend and when on holiday (do you take your holidays?)
7. Control your mind. What you think and how you think affects your general well-being. Refuse to entertain negative or self-derogatory thoughts and emotions. This will require practice, especially if you generally see the glass half-empty.
8. Grow your spiritual side. You don’t have to be religious and burn candles at altars, but keeping in touch with your intuition and your inner self is very important for navigating through life.
9. Go for comfort over fashion any day. You’ll find that you express yourself better. Besides, comfortable can also be fashionable.
10. Eat well and cook healthy. Try new recipes, modify them and make your meals interesting and fun.
11. Exercise regularly. Go for a brisk walk every morning. Do some stretches. Exercise your eyes regularly, especially if you spend a lot of time in front of the computer.
12. Maintain a good social life. Take an interest in other people and help without expecting anything in return whenever possible.
13. Be honest, ethical, polite, and sincere. Don’t flatter anyone unless you mean it, and drive considering the other people on the road. Really Just do to others…
14. Read books, magazines, newspapers. Be aware of what is going on around you, locally, nationally, and internationally. Try to learn at least one new thing every day.
15. Don’t take yourself too seriously. Learn to laugh at yourself. You’ll be quite amused at how funny you are and lighter the world is
16. Be conscious and pay attention to the thing that you’re doing at any given moment, and do it well.
Life should be lived by you, it must never Live you or Happen to you.
Love your body….